Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Auf Wiedersehn!

3 countries, 5 cites and 18 concerts in 26 days. But beyond the numbers, memories to last a lifetime. Millions of them. I feel so blessed to have been able to experience Europe for the first time with some of my best friends. And boy did we experience Europe. We saw world-class orchestras, operas, ballet and choirs. We ate amazing food, we climbed towers, visited the graves, workplaces and coffee shops of so many legendary composers, and we walked through towns and museums with history  spanning so far beyond our lifetimes and hometowns. 

Looking back, it's hard to believe it was only 3 1/2 weeks because this experience has been so life changing. Leaving Europe is a little bittersweet, but I feel so energized and motivated to pursue my studies of music and German after this trip. Seeing these phenomenal performances and immersing in a new language and culture I have studied makes everything feel more real and purposeful. Next time I play Beethoven's Eroica I can saw I've laid eye on the original copy in Prague. Next time I hear an aria from the magic flute I will think back to the seeing an amazing production in the state opera house in Vienna. The list goes on and on. This experience has simultaneously increased my love and curiosity for travel and my passion for music and study. Truly the best of both worlds, because I know I am taking so much more home than bars of chocolate and some Prague scarves. This experience has changed how I see things, as cliche as it is, travel opens your mind. I could not agree more. I have had a small glimpse of some beautiful music capitals of Europe, and now I cannot wait to see and experience more. 

So for now, auf Wiedersehn, Europe. But not a goodbye for good, just for now. Thanks for all the miraculous experiences, I really will never forget this trip. 

Photo: Eisenstadt, Austria 

-Lyndi  


No comments:

Post a Comment