Thursday, February 4, 2016

Hooray Brass!

After a long time of waiting, I finally got to see a concert with a brass section feature. Thank you Tonkünstler Orchestra, for playing Bruckner 4! It was awesome.
What I have realized is that there are small but important differences in the German and Austrian brass sounds vs. the "American" brass sound. One of the most visible and audible differences is the choice in instruments. Austria and Germany both employ rotary trumpets instead of pistons, and Vienna also uses the 'Vienna horns'. These changes offer a different core sound, and I love it. The rotary trumpets have a darker and warmer tone that lies somewhere in between the piston trumpet and the cornet. It makes me think that if I ever was in charge of an orchestra or band, that I would love to have the sounds of these instruments rather than a traditional versions found in most American ensembles.
P.S. The Weiner Musikverein is absolutely incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment