Tuesday, February 2, 2016

See You Later Europe!

I'm now on a plane back home. I'm going to miss seeing the sights in Europe, being with great friends, and going to concerts every night, but I'm also excited to go home. I've learned so much on this trip and I will use this knowledge for the rest of my life. 

We had Monday morning to ourselves and a bunch of us went to this music store. Oh my gosh it was great! There is so much music there and so many scores! A bunch of us dropped a lot of money on scores! I got the full scores to both Mahler 3 and 4 because they were in the same book... And it wasn't too pricey either! That evening was the last day having things scheduled for our group and it consisted of a private tour of the Schonbrunn palace, dinner and a concert at the palace. The tour was a very private tour, we were the only people on the tour! We learned so much history about Vienna and Austria. This was the palace where Mozart proposed to Marie Antoinette when he was very little. The dinner was fantastic. We got really great food and then got to listen to a string quintet, painist, and clarinetist. This was kind of like the Mozart dinner we went to earlier. The instrumentalists played some pieces for themselves and then they had some for a couple opera singers doing arias (we heard Papageno again) and also a few pieces for ballet dancers. I really liked the more casual concert. They tried to engage the audience more than any other group, and that was nice. 




The next day was our last day in Europe and our free day. A few people went out to Budapest but a lot of us stayed in Vienna to hang out and have a relaxing last day. We went to this cafe that was recommended to us by our friend and she had told us to get something called chocolate magic. We had no idea what it was, was it a drink? Cake? Other type of dessert? We found it and ordered it and it did not disappoint! It was this chocolate and vanilla mousse covered in chocolate syrup with a tiny bit of gold on top. Very fancy and very delicious! After the cafe we went ice skating in this park that they turn into an ice rink for the winter. It was right next to the government building and it was the coolest ice skating rink ever! They had multiple rinks all connected by these pathways you could skate down and if you didn't want to skate you could go to the multiple food stands in the park as well. It was so much fun and a great way to spend the last day. After skating we went to dinner. Our last authentic Austrian dinner! We had great food and I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to spend the day with. 






After dinner we all went back to the hostel and stayed up all night so we could sleep in the plane and hopefully get back on Seattle time easier.... We'll see how that works out for us! I had the best trip and am so happy I could go on this adventure with all of my closest friends. It's truly amazing to see such historic sights and sights that mean so much to the music world. You truly have to experience somethings to appreciate them more. And all the concerts we went to just made me so inspired and reaffirmed the fact that music is what I want to do for the rest of my life. All the concerts we saw were just so powerful and inspirational. Thank you Dr. Powell for creating this fantastic trip for us, I will remember it forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment