Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Vienna Reflections and The Magic Flute

For my final blog post I’m going to reflect upon the highlights of my last few days in Vienna, starting with The Magic Flute we saw Saturday night.

After nearly every performance I thought it would be very difficult for another to match it however, fortunately almost every night I am proven wrong. The Magic Flute was another spectacular opera, or more specifically, singspiel. While each opera had its own strengths and weaknesses, The Magic Flute was excellent in almost every way. The orchestra was wonderful and the conductor had the whole piece memorized, I can’t imagine! The singers all did a beautiful job and although there was not much in the way of a set, the staging and costuming were elaborate and stunning. Overall it was funny, whimsical, and very entertaining. I thought the choices of this performance were interesting, particularly the costuming. In the singspiel, the two protagonists fall in love but must undergo certain trials before they can be together and initiated into the brotherhood of Sarastro’s temple, for the wise and pure of heart. Until they complete their quest the protagonists were dressed like fairytale characters. After they were accepted into the order they were dressed in plain, grey business attire. With the trials representing the four main natural elements and the sun banishing the night, I wondered if it symbolically represented The Enlightenment and the triumph of reason over superstition. I had also learned from our previous tours that Mozart was a member of the Free Masons in Vienna and supposedly Mozart revealed some of the order’s secrets in The Magic Flute. Perhaps that had something to do with the heavy use of symbolism in the singspiel or maybe it refers to something completely different, like an allusion to The Enlightenment. I liked how the plot of the singspiel itself seemed more complex than most operas and allowed for reflection and depth of thought as to the overall meaning of the piece. I will be thinking about it some more in the next few days!

For my last full day in Vienna some friends and I wasted no time trying to do everything we wanted to before leaving, which was of course impossible, but made for a wonderful day. We toured the catacombs and climbed the tower at St Stephen’s Cathedral, we did some shopping for antique coins and some souvenirs, and finally we visited the art exhibition at the Belvedere. Another former Habsburg residence, the Belvedere is a beautiful palace with large ornate gardens. The exhibit inside featured the artist Gustav Klimt and we saw some of his famous pieces, like The Kiss. I especially loved seeing a large, gorgeous painting by Monet of the path entering his garden in Giverny. This evening we went to our last performance at Schönburnn Palace. Beforehand, we had an excellent private tour of the palace, a nice meal, and then the concert in the Orangerie. It was neat to hear some of Mozart’s music in the same location that he visited as a child and famously asked Marie Antoinette to marry him. Overall I am taken with Vienna. I love how the Viennese have their own distinct culture and that they are very proud of it. I will miss this amazing city with its numerous coffee houses, romantic Baroque facades, and gigantic royal palaces. There is so much more to see and to do here than what we had time for. I guess I will have to come back someday!
 
Schönbrunn Palace
 
In summation….


From all of our pictures and previous blog posts, it goes without saying that this has been an amazing once in a lifetime experience. It is hard to processes all of what we have seen and done in under a month. Four countries, seven cities, and eighteen performances. Wow! Being one of the few non-music majors in the class, each day I have had a greater appreciation for the opportunity that has been given to me to be on this J-term trip and to go to see all of these internationally recognized orchestras. The Gewandhaus Orchestra in Leipzig was my first time seeing a professional orchestra in person and all of the performances we have seen have afforded me substantial experiential learning and a deeper appreciation for music and the performing arts. I have always loved the theater and live performances in general, but I wasn’t as able to fully understand and appreciate the music specifically until now. I enjoy hearing my peers discuss the pieces we heard and explain their historical contexts and technicalities. I believe a well-rounded education is very important, especially at the university level and so this has been an invaluable experience. Now I am interested in looking up this year’s program for orchestras back in the U.S. Before signing off I wanted to thank all of you for reading our blog and to thank PLU and especially Dr. Powell for this amazing opportunity. Tchüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment