Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Concert Etiquette

Having now seen many European concerts, I have noticed some cultural differences between attending a concert here and attending one at home. The first difference I noticed was the requirement to check one's coat. Before each performance, each audience member was expected to check any coats, hats, or scarves, lest they be turned away at the concert hall door. A second difference was the availability of a concert program. At home, everyone expects to receive a program as they enter the hall. At the concerts we have attended here, a program must be purchased for several euro from one of the many employees standing at the hall doors. Another cost I did not expect at a concert was in the washroom. While it is not strictly required, there is typically a plate for tips for the washroom attendant by the sinks.
The most notable difference I observed was the lack of standing ovations. We attended many performances worthy of a standing ovation, however, none of the audiences stood. Instead, we just clapped for a very long time. We clapped for so long that two concerts gave two encores. I have never been to at concert at home when the performer shared two more pieces. At first, it felt strange not to partake in an ovation at the end of an inspiring concert. I became more used to the difference as our trip continued, but I still sat up a bit taller in my chair each time I wanted to take a stand.
The view from my seat in the Musikverien before the Tonkunstler Orchestra 

No comments:

Post a Comment