Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Vienna Adventures!

The last stop: Vienna. What better way to end this adventure than in such a fantastic and exciting city. 


This music capital that I have dreamed about for so many years has not dissapointed. The culture, the food, and the music have made this one of the hardest cities to leave. So, to zoom in: the music. The first night we saw the Vienna Chamber Orchestra. This was a great experience. The program was Mendelssohn and Brahms, it was destined to be great. My favorite part of the Mendelssohn was seeing the communication between the soloists (one of them being the conductor!). I had a view of the other soloist just through the crook or a violinist's arm and it was so phenomenal to watch her, this was the only way I could tell who was playing! They played so fluidly and in sync that you had to watch their fingers to know who was playing. The conductor alternated between playing and conducting, which was a sign of his immense musicality. He seamlessly transitioned from performing to conducting. The second part of this program was Brahms serenade No. 1 in Es-Dur. This orchestra sold it. One thing I really love about Brahms is its openness to different interpretations. The clarinetist played as soft as any I've ever heard. It was beautiful. 

One of my favorite shows we saw was the magic flute a few days later. The whole show: the orchestra, the singers, the acting and the stage were an amazing combination. Especially after learning and walking in the historical footsteps of Mozart in both Salzburg and Vienna, it was very cool to see one of his famous works. Aside from the wonderful music itself, the slight messages and implications of the deeper meaning of the opera were interesting to see. However, the best part of the whole opera was the Queen of the Night. This is one of the hardest arias ever written and she completely killed it. Phenomenal. The athleticism of her voice was unparalleled to anything else I have ever seen. I have so much respect for this singer and actress. 

Photo: the musikverein, home of the Vienna Phil. 

Photo: shoutout to these amazing girls! They made my experience lovely, and even sharing small hostel rooms fun.

Photo: on top of a tower, overlooking Vienna. 

Overall, Vienna was a great city. I know there is so much I didn't even see and I cannot wait to return someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment