Thursday, February 4, 2016

Final Impressions

I've spent a month traveling around central Europe listening to some of the best musicians and ensembles in the world, and seeing the sights of music history first-hand. The moments were my favorite -- the moments that made me stop and stare, or stop and listen. As I mentioned before, I think these moments are some of the more special you can have. Seeing Bach' church, witnessing a beautiflly danced Swan Lake, having Strauss waltzes stuck in my head while walking down the banks of the Danube, and seeing the brushstrokes of Rembrant's self portraits -- these are moments I will long remember.
I don't think that the full weight and reality of what I have just finished doing has settled in yet. I was able to fill in so many gaps in my understanding of music history's timeline, and I experienced new levels of musicianship to which I now aspire to achieve. Every time I think back to one of the cities I visited, I remember something new that had an impact on me, and I imagine that will keep happening for a long time. To say that this trip didn't change my perspectives on music and culture would be a flat out lie, but I believe that the full impact of that change will continue to unfold as I continue my path in music education, and as a person.
Auf Wiedersehen, Europe. Thank you for making me a better person, and for sharing your music.

No comments:

Post a Comment