Wednesday, January 20, 2016

American in Prague

After a spectacular performance by the Simon Bolivar Orchestra in Berlin, featuring Stravinsky's Petrushka, the Rite of Spring, and a Firebird finale that brought me to tears, I didn't think that this European adventure of mine could get any better. As our Prague-bound train took off from Berlin's central train station, I became increasingly excited about our arrival in the Czech Republic - yet I didn't know how I would handle actually setting foot in Prague, after leaving Germany on such a high note.

Looking back, I'm glad I was not able to predict how I'd feel once in Prague, because I am so overwhelmed by my love for this city that I don't really know how to properly describe it.

Prague is, quite simply, the most beautiful, fairy-tale city I have ever had the pleasure of walking through. By the time we started to tour its most famous streets, darkness had already fallen; in the light snow and soft street lights, the walk was purely magical. We were surrounded by old restaurants, clock towers, street corners, and more, each new sight yet another architectural wonder. The Vltava river glimmered on each side of the St. Charles Bridge as we traversed further into the city. Even the endless rows of tourist stores seemed to possess an enchanting quality as we entered the unknown world of Prague. By the time we finally got back to our hostel, the snow had become thicker, and I wasn't certain if I could bring myself to go inside - I didn't want to take my eyes off the sky, where snowflakes swirled around rooftops, and the incredible silence of the sleeping city kept me wide awake, eager for more.

Tomorrow, we will take our official walking tour of Prague. I am beyond excited to see the city in daylight. Even though I have never been here before, I strangely feel as though I am home.

It's a nice feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment