Monday, January 25, 2016

Welcome to Salzburg

It's very interesting, honestly - I came to Europe with the expectation of falling in love with Prague, and Prague only. I was excited for the other cities, sure, but Prague definitely stood out in my mind as the most important place I'd visit during this adventure.

So, when I came to Salzburg and promptly fell in love with it, I was pleasantly surprised.

I think it's the comforting, small-town feeling it possesses, with a more modest downtown area and quiet, tidy neighborhoods on its outskirts. As the smallest city out of the five on our itinerary, it is, for sure, a nice breath of fresh air, both figuratively and literally (I'm not looking forward to returning to Tacoma's wonderful air quality). It's also very much like a small town you would visit on your way to the Washington state coast; to me, Salzburg's picturesque position between the mountains, with a lovely river running through its center, reminds me of a place my family used to drive through when we had our annual vacation in Long Beach. Misty, mysterious, charming, and reminiscent of scenes from my past, I suppose it's no wonder that I've taken a liking to it so quickly.

The food and music here are delicious, too. Tonight, my friends and I had the pleasure of eating at what is supposedly Europe's oldest restaurant, where we dined and listened to a live performance of Mozart literature. A soprano and tenor, along with a string quintet, delighted our ears to scenes from Don Giovanni, the Marriage of Figaro, and the Magic Flute, all the while dressed in period costumes. Though our dinner lasted well over two hours, it was a nice way to end a long day, and perhaps an even nicer way to decompress after a stressful train ride the day before.

 I can't remember what's in store for tomorrow at the moment, but I know it'll be worth talking about at a later date. As always, stay tuned, folks! There's more on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment