Friday, January 29, 2016

Viennese Musical Power!

If I could choose one word to describe the Viennese ensembles I've heard, it would be... wow! What talent, what power, what genuine emotion. We've been spoiled rotten this entire trip, and it's only continued to get better as we've ventured deeper into the heart of Austria.

It all started back in Salzburg, where we were treated to a fantastic performance by the Vienna Philharmonic (they were on tour, which is why we're not actually hearing them IN Vienna!). Not only did they play a Mozart symphony on his 260th birthday, but they blasted us with a beautifully-bizarre Dutilleux violin concerto, and Mendelssohn's incredible Italian symphony. I was in awe the entire time; for every melody, every line, every rhythmic hiccup, they were technically together in brilliant fashion, breathing with one another as though the entire orchestra was a single living creature. While I do have to admit I liked the characters of the Gewandhaus Orchestra and Berlin Philharmonic more, the Vienna Philharmonic still managed to blow me away. If it were more of a custom to give standing ovations in Europe, I would have jumped to my feet in an instant.

The magic continued in Vienna, where we heard the Vienna Chamber Orchestra the same day we arrived in the big city. Once again, wow! What a powerhouse group. Not only did the conductor, well, conduct, but he played a double piano concerto at the same time, accompanied by another equally talented pianist who rocked the Mendelssohn with him. The second half of the program featured a lovely Brahms serenade, which thrilled most, if not all of us within our group. As one of my friends said after the concert was over, Brahms' works "have the same quality as being in love". Personally, I agree wholeheartedly!

I suppose I should wrap this post up, since it is very late. Tonight will be our second night in Vienna; tomorrow, we visit Haydn's church, and attend Mozart's The Magic Flute at the state opera house. It's going to be so, so great, and I can't wait to wake up next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment