Thursday, January 21, 2016

Berlin Food Post

They say one of the things Americans miss the most after coming home
from Europe is the amazing and unique food you get over here. Well, I
have to say that I have had some amazing food. The service here is quite
different, however. We were pretty lost the first few days, but how now
gotten used to the customs in Germany. First of all, leftovers are not
really a thing over here. It is expected that you will finish your meal
at the resturaunt unless its a pizza place or something similar.
Second of all, the food comes out quick, but the service does not
return every couple of minutes like it does in the States. If you
would like to get your waitress' or waiter's attention, all you have
to do is make eye contact and raise your hand slightly. This was
particularly strange at first, since we were so used to having the
waiter come around so often. One of the nights, we got tired of waiting
and I just went up and asked for the bill, which we learned was very
rude. Finally, tipping is only expected in small amounts, like just the
amount rounded up to the next euro (if your bill is 6.50, you can just
hand them 7 and say "no change" and they are very appreciative).

Doner Kebab
















This was amazing. A ton of veggies with the delicious shredded meat and
a garlic aeoli. Not only did it taste great, it was extremely cheep too!
just 5.00 even for the kebab and the beer. The beer I got was a budweiser,
which is apparently different here than in the States. It was alright.

Burgermann
















I got a chili burger here! It was strange because it seemed to be just
the chili sauce and not actually the meat and beans we associate with
chili. The onion rings were filled with an onion puree instead of the
one onion strand, which I preferred because it was easier to eat. I also
got coleslaw, which was just like regular coleslaw. The drink I got
is mezzo mix, which is a mix between orange and cola. Pretty good!!

Schnitzel
















The schnitzel I got here was great! Very light and delicious, especially
when I added salt, pepper, and lemon. I loved the mushroom sauce and the beet
salad. The beer I had was an Irish stout, which wasn't the best, but was
offset by one of the better beers I had on the trip, Landmann!

No comments:

Post a Comment