Sunday, January 17, 2016

We're not in America anymore...

I haven't known what to say about the this trip so far. And I think this because what I want to describe are feelings that I had that simply cannot be put to words.
Walking from the Leipzig commuter train station to the hostel, I got my first impression of German architecture via the Leipzig town square. What I didn't realize until the morning was that in the darkness of the night I had walked passed St. Thomas church -- the church that JS Bach worked for for the last 27 years of his life. The next morning I was walking passed the church again when I had a sudden realization of where I was, and the significance of that church. My jaw dropped, and I stood outside the church and just stared. I walked around the entire grounds until I came to the side door that lead into the church nearest the alter. Inside the church I stood in awe for several minutes before the organ broke the silence with the music of Bach. It was surreal, and I can't describe it any other way. I was humbled by the music and the history in that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment