Sunday, January 24, 2016

Tschüs, Prague!

 We are Czeching out of Prague and I can almost hear the hills of Austria calling. 




The last day in Prague brought much excitement. In only a few days, this beautiful city grew on me. The last day in Prague we visited the Musical Instrument Museum and saw a string quartet in a 12th century church off the main square. The church was a beautiful intimate space (but a little chilly). 


The quartet was really great. Chamber music has always been a favorite of mine. I like to think of all orchestrations as larger combinations of chamber music. I found this group particularly great because they demonstrated great communication and balence, no one voice seemed to stick out or take over, which lead them to create a really beautiful sound. This may be my favorite aspect of chamber music, the variety of sound they can produce. A quartet can be broken into 4 soloists, create unique duets and trios or a universal sound of all four musicians that can sound full as a large group or an intimate quiet small group sound. This show has been one of my favorites so far, and one I think I took the most away from. 

Also on the last day we had the pleasure of visiting the Musical Instruments Museum in Prague. This was a real treat, seeing the evolution and creativity of instruments, especially the clarinets for me (I may be a little biased). 


Photo: quarter tone clarinets. A very unique sound. Spent a while looking at these beauties. 



Photo: Violinphone. Perhaps the most interesting instrument I found in the museum, and one that I would love to hear the sound of! 

 Photo: giraffe piano. Another unique design that I would love to compare sound of to a typical grand. 

Photo: the best case in the museum. I spent quite a while here. 

Photo: does this remind anyone else or Dr. Suess? 

Anway, Prague was a fun adventure but I'm very excited to be headed to Austria! Plus I'm happy to be hearing a language I can understand again, although Czech was very beautiful. 

Photo: John Lenon wall in Prague! 

Auf Wiedersehn! 
-Lyndi 







No comments:

Post a Comment