Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Walking through History

A week in Berlin. I don't quite know where to begin. Exploring this city the past few days have opened my eyes to understanding its immense, sometimes tragic, sometimes beautiful culture and history. The juxtaposition of seeing the remains of the Berlin Wall that divided a state and on the left the shiny poster proclaiming 2016 Berlin Fashion Week is a quite unique experience. I feel like this city is a beautiful symbol of how people overcome hardship and come together after division. The fact that in this city a 10 foot high divide that stretched into a dead land that separated life and death, freedom and suppression for over 20 years stood, and yet the people of Berlin have banded together and created a unique culture of multiculturalism and acceptance is a wonderful testimony of human resilience. I am so grateful for all I have seen and experienced this week, but I can't help feeling a sadness of leaving a city behind that I just started to experience and I know has infinite possibilities for further experiences. Berlin, this won't be the last time. A see ya later, but not a goodbye.

Photo: these cobbelstones throughout the city mark where it was once divided by the wall. 

Photo: snowy Berlin! 

Photo: checkpoint Charlie

Photo: a DDR picture outside of Checkpoint Charlie, which was the cross-section between the divided city.

Photo: East German means of escape. 

Photo: on our free day a few of us explored a more uplifting part of history: the Berlin Zoo! 

Photo: I just have to mention, the food here is to die for. If I had these meatballs every night, I would die happy. 

Photo: on our last day in Berlin, we visited a art museum with Egyption artifacts and art. Very Facinating! 

But enough of my rant on this wondrous city: the performances. Berlin has not disappointed. Berlin Phil was so phenomenal I was worried everything else would fall short, but that has been a grossly wrong assumption. Swan Lake and La Traviata were incredible, and outside of the realm I'm accustomed to. I have seen very few Ballets and operas, and certainly never any to the caliber that these shows provided. The anguish, joy and love felt by the dancers, I felt too. And despite the overly- dramatic operatic plot La Traviata nearly brought me to tears. I expected such reactions from the symphonies I have spent years dreaming of, but to feel such emotion and pleasure at these new (to me) art forms was an incredible treat. 

Photo: Ingrid, Claire and I at La Traviata! 

And then last night. The Simon Bolivar Orchestra of Venezuela conducted by Gustavo Dudamel. Where to begin. To sum up this experience, four aspects really sold this show to me: 1. The unparalleled soul and passion of the orchestra. 2. The Stravinsky program. 3. Gustavo Dudamel (need I say more?) 4. The personal connection that this orchestra is the model for a local organization I have spent over a year volunteering with, The Artists Mentoring Program. Let me begin with the last, Es Sistema is a youth music program like no other, that has provided countless musical and professional opportunities for youth in a very dangerous part of the world. I could rave for days about the bounds this organization has gone for connecting music and social justice, both very close to my heart, but I have more I wish to tell here. The Artists Mentoring Program is an expanding program in Parkland, WA aiming for the same goals as El Sistema: to provide music education to at-risk youth and provide them a safe outlet  and activity with room for personal, social and musical growth. Having volunteered with this program for a year now, I couldn't help but think of the kids I've worked with in this program, envisioning them on stage with the fantastic musicians in front of me. This was a very moving experience. It brought this whole experience full-circle. Not only is embarking on this journey changing me as a musician and person, it is also giving me opportunity to pass this on to the children and people I work with, and that is powerful. So thank you very much to everyone who helped me get here, and Dr. Powell for providing such opportunities for us. But before I end, let me also mention once again the incredible musicianship of the orchestra we saw last night. Their movement, balance, and passion was just remarkable. One thing I love about Stravinsky's music is it takes no victims. You must play it to the fullest, or it's flat out wrong. I don't think I can think of another orchestra anywhere in this world that could deliver Rite of Spring and Petruschka with the same emotional punch. The connection of conductor (who conducted without a score, just to add to his credibility) and orchestra was something so intimite and beautiful. Watching these musicians reminded me why I do this craft. Why I wish to pursue such a challenging and unpredictable profession. It's for those moments. To put on a performance that powerful it demands two encores, and endless smiles and tears from the audience members. Even from the upper balcony, the indisputable love and raw emotion of these musicians was clear as day. This is what music is about. Thank you Dudamel and this orchestra for an unforgettable performance. I'm still in awe nearly 12 hours later. 

Photo: Part of the AMP Staff pre-concert for Dudamel. 

Alas, we are off to Prague. I don't know much about this city, but it seems nothing on this adventure could dissapoint so I'm embracing it fully. Auf Wiedersehn, Berlin und Hallo, Pruha. 

-Lyndi Knox 

No comments:

Post a Comment