Saturday, January 23, 2016

Opera

Of the performances on our itinerary, I was wary of seeing the operas. Studying operas in my music history classes was not my favorite, though I understood their importance and purpose. I had never attended an opera before and from my understanding, they are just really long. After seeing three operas now, I can confirm this as true. I can also confirm, however, they can certainly be worth their time. Like any type of performance, there are varying degrees of professionalism and polish. For the more contemporary rendition of the Three Penny Opera in Leipzig, I most enjoyed the orchestra's performance. When we saw Rusalka in Prague, we decided the star of the show was Dvorak for composing such an intensive work. La Traviata in Berlin, however, was leagues ahead of the other performances. I was in awe of all aspects of the show, from soloists to set design to costumes to the orchestra. I had never heard an orchestra play so quietly to support and highlight the vocalists. This performance made me want to look at Seattle Opera's schedule when I get home and find the next time I can attend an opera.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An opera fan is born! How wonderful. What else might we fall in love with in this great big world if only we have the chance to try it? Keep enjoying this opportunity to explore!

    ReplyDelete