Friday, January 22, 2016

Swingin' in Berlin

I finally have some time to write now that we are in Prague, so I thought I would let everyone know about my adventures in Berlin. And boy was it an adventure. Those who know me, know that a large part of my life is taken up with swing dancing and that when I'm not playing music, I'm dancing to it. And OH MAN can Berlin dance. There was dancing every night that I was there, and the community is one of the friendliest I've ever had the pleasure to hang out with. 

Atopia
Tanspa
The first night, after our first day in Berlin, I found a bar called Atopia, that was hosting a swing dancing event and everyone seemed to be having a great time, as I certainly was. The music switched between traditional swing songs and more rock and roll types of songs, but I had a blast all the same. I danced for about an hour or so until two women approached me. They complimented me on my dancing and told me that I had a very smooth style and that they were hoping to dance with me, however both them and their friend who was a blues teacher in the area, were headed to Tanspa, another swing venue run by a dance school where the music was a bit more traditional. They asked if I wanted to come with them, as it was only a five minute drive away. I agreed.

That kicked off the biggest and best week of swing dancing I've ever had. Tanspa was incredible and I met so many dancers there. One of the first people to ask me to dance was the teacher who ran the venue, and she was amazing! I became fast friends with a small group of skilled dancers and ended up going out with them almost every night to whatever restaurant or bar happened to be hosting the nightly swing event. 

I was so incredibly sad to leave Berlin and all of the great people I met there, but I will be sure to return one day for all the dancing I can handle.

I miss everyone already.



1 comment:

  1. Good thing the girls turned out to be actual dancers and you didn't get rolled for your dance shoes in a back Berlin alley! :)

    ReplyDelete