Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Ideal City

After leaving Leipzig I didn't think there was going to be a city I loved more but oh man was I wrong. Salzburg focused highly on green transportation with very efficient bus routes and safe bike lanes. There were bike parking stations everywhere in the downtown area which were never in the way of pedestrian traffic. Also, Will and I appreciated all of the diesel hatchbacks in Salzburg. It kind of looked like all the Subarus in Bellingham except in Salzburg they drive Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, and Mercedes.

So all of this stacks up pretty evenly against Leipzig but what Leipzig doesn't have is the Alps surrounding it. And then  in the middle of Salzburg there's a giant castle on top of a mountain! The people of Salzburg seemed to really love the outdoors which was another big difference from the people of Leipzig. I love how the founders of Salzburg used the natural landscape to their advantage. The castle has never been overtaken and went you look at hill getting up to it and the giant walls you can definitely understand why. We are on our way to Vienna now which is very exciting, but I don't think I could ever love a city more than Salzburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment